Nominations are now open for The O’Brien Bookseller of the Year Award. The closing date for entries is February 19th 2010.
The 2009 award was won by David O’Callaghan, Children’s buyer in Eason & Son, Ireland’s biggest wholesaler. A very popular winner, he was instantly mobbed by well-wishers and had a permanent smile on his face all evening!
Here’s the award citation:
He brings a freshness, frankness and sense of fun to all aspects of his work. Highly respected at home and abroad, he has always had a unique approach, and instinctively spots and champions new authors. In a rapidly-changing environment he constantly finds new ways to transfer his unquenchable enthusiasm for books to children.
The past winners are:
- 1995 Fred Hanna, Fred Hanna Booksellers
- 1996 Sally Mimnagh, Eason & Son, O’Connell St.
- 1997 Helen Clear and Gemma Barry, Dubray Books
- 1998 Frank and David O’Mahony, O’Mahony’s Booksellers
- 1999 Fergal and Irene Stanley, Argosy Libraries
- 2000 John McNamee, Laois Educational Supplies
- 2001 Tom Owens, Eason & Son Ltd
- 2002 Joe Collins, Hodges Figgis
- 2003 Robert Redmond, The Open Book Company
- 2004 Dervilla Evans, The Ennis Bookshop
- 2005 Liz Meldon, Dundrum Books
- 2006 Siobhán Tierney, Hughes & Hughes Booksellers
- 2007 Eoin McHugh, Eason Wholesale
- 2008 Mary Healy, Argosy Books
- 2009 David O’Callaghan, Eason & Son Ltd
The Elements, a bronze perpetual trophy sculpted by Rowan Gillespie. The winner also receives a framed commemorative certificate and a fabulous weekend away for two people.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
Any Bookseller who:
- operates on the island of Ireland
- works in, manages or owns a bookselling business
- has a minimum of three years’ experience as a bookseller in Ireland (not necessarily with the same company)
NOMINATIONS AND JUDGING
The winner in 2010 will be decided by the following jury:
- Louise Dobbin, Repforce Ireland
- Robert Doran, Merlin Publishing
- Siobhán Tierney, Hachette Ireland
- Michael O’Brien, The O’Brien Press
The award will be presented at the Booksellers’ Association Dinner Dance at the Hilton Hotel at Grand Canal Dock, Dublin 2 on 27 March.